Chapter is the Film Hub Lead Organisation in Wales (FHLO).
As the FHLO, Chapter works with Film Hub Wales and the BFI Film Audience Network to develop as a cultural leader in Wales. Chapter delivers a programme of cultural events which meet the wider strategic objectives of Film Hub Wales, including:
- Reach – to increase and broaden audiences for specialised and independent British film
- Breadth – to considerably extend film choice for audiences across the UK
- Depth – to enhance opportunities for audiences to engage with and learn about film leading to a better understanding of audiences
- Capability – enhanced expertise in key areas via training and mentoring, which supports network objectives
- Partnerships – a collaborative Network which works together effectively to deliver an exciting programme of film over a range of settings and platforms
- Leverage – to raise additional investment for film exhibition activity across the network
- Diversity – catering to underserved audiences, making a variety of content widely accessible
These objectives form the basis for much of Chapter’s programming, events and development. These include:
Events occurring off the Chapter site, such as OffCentre: Screenings in Castles with partners CADW, University of South Wales and Welsh National Opera.
Including BFI film seasons (Gothic, Sci-Fi, Love and Black Star), Roald Dahl on Film, Britain on Film and Shakespeare on Film.
Screenings with live or new music accompaniment.
Commissioning and hosting artists to perform along with screenings.
Providing dementia friendly resources and screenings.
Genre screenings with post-film discussions led by specialist Ben Ewart Dean.
LGBTQIA Lavender Screenings
Year-long programming of LGBTQIA films and events.
A number of festivals
Including WOW Film Festival, Cardiff Independent Film Festival, UK Green Festival, Kotatsu Japanese Animation Film Festival, IRIS Prize Festival, Abertoir Film Festival, Watch Africa Film Festival, Italian Film Festival and Adventure Film Festival.
Supporting Welsh heritage / language, archive and talent
Programming Welsh-made and language films and working with BAFTA Cymru on regular screening events.
Supporting emerging Welsh talent
Holding events like Chapter Moviemaker, guest Q&As, and offering advice on distribution, reaching audiences, screening events and technical support.
Screenings for families with children who have multi sensory needs.
Find out more about Chapter’s events, outreach and development on the Chapter website.