Back in 2016 Film Hub Wales organised two new training days called Opening Doors. They were packed full of innovation projects, interactive games, film ideas and resources designed to help venues reach diverse audience groups. Find out more here. Building on this Film Hub Wales led by FAN Access Officer Toki Allison has been touring these development sessions across the UK.
Opening Our Doors: Inclusive Cinema is a day of interactive workshops, lively discussions, and case studies by experts and FAN members for FAN members, that aims to boost exhibitor confidence in being more inclusive, as well as provide a network of colleagues to bounce ideas off. Participants leave with a set of actions to trial, and a network of support from peers and experts. In this safe space, we explore our fears and dispel the myths holding us back from working with diverse communities.
Exhibitors should leave with:
- Greater awareness of the challenges faced by minority audiences
- Increased confidence to approach and work with minority groups
- Contacts and connections with regional groups to help with guidance and audience development
- Practical resources including title lists of films, templates and assets
- Access to an online forum to continue inclusive cinema discussions