Film Hub Wales Member
Run by Penarth Town Council, The Paget Rooms screen National Theatre Live event as well as hosting theatre performances and cinema events throughout the year.
This historic theatre in the heart of Penarth was built in the early part of the 20th century and is now a Grade II listed building. It came into public ownership in 1949 when the former Penarth U.D.C. took over the lease from Kibbor Cinemas Limited. The freehold was acquired in 1950. In 1974 the property transferred to the Vale of Glamorgan Council but was transferred back to the Town Council in 1977 under The Local Authorities etc. (Miscellaneous Provision) Order 1977.
The property is the town’s public hall and can be used for a variety of activities, including shows, dances, coffee mornings, public meetings etc. Its restrictive shape and layout is an inhibiting factor in its use but the premises are, nevertheless, part of the town’s history. The original development included two shops which still retail today and are the subject of lease agreements.
In November 1906, the Earl of Plymouth granted a lease of a piece of ground, two shops and a hall to the Paget Rooms, Ltd. The Earl of Plymouth had married in 1883 to a lady, whose family name was Paget and the hall is named after her. In January 1950, the building was conveyed to the Penarth Urban District Council by the Plymouth Estates Ltd. The hall was designed as a dance hall and in the early 1930’s it was a cinema called ‘’The Regal’’.
In 1993 the Paget Rooms was added to the list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest and is now a Grade II listed building.