Film Hub Wales Member
Crosshands Public Hall was built in 1906 with the aim of improving the quality of life for the people of the community. The upkeep of the Hall was funded by the Miners contributing 1p from their weekly wages.
The Hall was extended in 1932 and incorporated many ancillary centres at the rear end of the building. Of particular note is the hall’s French facade design which once graced the auditorium ceiling, being Italian in design but, sadly, no longer exists.
In it’s hey-day, the Hall was regarded as one of the finest in South Wales and boasted some top actors and orchestras. At it’s prime, the Hall was the main attraction in the area with weekly shows ranging from variety, drama, oratorios and opera.
With the demise of the coal industry and the popularity of television, the Hall slid into obscurity and in 1984 the Hall closed.In 1991, the then Deputy Mayor, Cllr Bryn Davies, began his quest of securing a grant that would restore the Public Hall to something like its former glory and the Hall re-opened for the first time on the 26th of April 1996 with a capacity audience.
Today, the Hall is run by volunteers from the Community and although it has retained its abilities to host performances, much of the entertainment today is in the form of a Cinema. Cross Hands Cinema again is run by dedicated volunteers, and charges a nominal fee for the viewing of the latest films. Still a popular venue for the community, Cross Hands Public Hall is again a prominent feature of the community.
- Type of organisation: Mixed Arts Venue
- Number of screens: 1
- Seating capacity (per screen): 300
- Projection format: DCP, Blu ray